Men who are diagnosed with prostate cancer need to understand their new diagnosis to pursue the right treatment options. This disease affects about a quarter of a million men a year. With such a high prevalence, it is important that men around the country do not put off their preventative internal medicine appointments in Phoenix. The physicians at Men’s Vitality Center can catch prostate related problems at an earlier stage with internal medicine appointments for men.
Prostate cancer is a very common diagnosis, but many people do not have a thorough understanding of this disease. Here are seven things you should know about prostate cancer:
- Prostate cancer only affects men, as women do not possess the prostate gland.
- Prostate cancer is the second most commonly diagnosed cancer in the male population.
- Men over the age of 65 are more commonly diagnosed with prostate cancer. It is incredibly rare for a man under the age of 40 to be diagnosed with this disease.
- The Prostate-Specific-Antigen (PSA) levels are followed through blood tests. When a PSA level is elevated, it leads physicians to believe that there is something going on with the prostate gland.
- Multiple studies show that men who led a vegetarian lifestyle have a lower likelihood of prostate cancer.
- Many men (around 40%) choose to undergo “active surveillance” rather than pursuing treatment when they are first diagnosed with prostate cancer.
- Prostate cancer tends to be a slow growing cancer that does not actively migrate to other locations of the body.
Men’s Vitality Center in Phoenix offers superb men’s internal medicine services that will help a man stay healthier throughout their lives. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.